Sunday, August 16, 2009

GAMEBALL and JOKER--> GIANTS at METS 8/16

How are you all doing? Me, doing fairly well… you see I was outside in the sun and fresh air all day and in spite of a chipping game that has gone to hell, had a good day on the links…..You see I could have been huddled indoors for 3 hours screaming at my television, but I can't do that every day, can I? And plus through the magic of Tivo I was able to relive the agony without the commercials or suspense……
If you are like me, baseball is a commitment. 162 games a year and I watch every one possible…..including attending 30-40 regular season games + a yearly spring training visit…all while trying to maintain a semblance of a life……so today I got some much needed R&R from the game, and am able to step back from the frustration of the moment…..and I will sleep like a baby tonight…..

GAMEBALL and JOKER--> GIANTS at METS 8/16


GAMEBALL

J SANCHEZ

What more can you ask for from a #4 starter…keeps you in the game and gives you some solid innings…..and Jonathan continues to tease….swing and miss stuff of a dominant pitcher but way to wild and inconsistent to be dominant…seems like every start is a battle with himself…and today was no different, but Sanchez was able to throw enough strikes to keep a depleted Mets lineup in check…..and down by one run with a man on second, who could expect Castillo to swing for the fences for the big blow a 2 run shot….his 1st homer of the year…..hell, I you could groove that 3-1 pitch 100 more times and he hits a lazy Flyball with that swing……but whatever….Sanchez was solid enough for the win, but the Giants offense was in a deep deep slumber……

TIP OF THE CAP :
VELEZ
Was the Giants offense today, on base 3 times scored 1 run and knocked in the other…man, can you imagine what the Giants would look like without his 2nd half hot streak???..and the help couldn't have come at a better time……he has taken off just as Rowand has fallen off the map

GARKO
Here I will fly in the face of the current feelings about a Garko……I will say it now, I like what I see at the plate from this kid….he is one of the few mythical "Professional Hitters" the Giants have…. works a count, can spoil a few pitches and in an RBI situation concentrates on solid contact more that driving the ball….and today he was choking up on 1 strike…..and was the victim of more bad luck as he hit a line drive right at Castillo…..he may be inferior to Ishikawa with the glove, but this kid will get his hits of he gets the AB's



JOKER

LEWIS

Freddy's defensive shortcomings are no surprise, but today was just a flat out joke……I had to slow it down to believe it… that ball actually hits him IN THE FUCKING WEB and bounces out…..not the heel, not the tip, not the outside of the glove…..IN THE GODDAMN WEB…….sure it would have been a nice play and quite a few Left Fielders would have made that play but that is straight up maddening to the fans…..and probably his teammates…….but that’s not even the reason I am pissed…..according to Baggs Blog Freddy claimed that the ball came loose when his elbow hit the turf……Dude….what the fuck are you talking about……the one thing worse than failure is not taking responsibility……I have already mentally written off Lewis as a complete loss, a waste of a roster spot…..and now you want to go Armando "I Did My Job" on us????? Don't make excuses, just live up to the fact that you fucked up…….and I can't remember who mentioned it before, but if that is a Wilson A2000 he is using, I fucking HATE that glove…..I got one for xmas when I was a teenager and then immediately lectured my mother that buying a glove without my being there was like buying me shoes without trying them on…..that A2000 was a clumsy stiff piece of shit…..Now matter how much I tried to break that sucker in, it was unreliable and that's no way to feel about your glove….I just left it in the back of my truck for anyone that needed a glove in a pick up game……I lost it a few years back now, think I lent it out at a softball game and we lost and I stormed off without thinking about the glove…anyway, I digress……but even if Lewis isn't using a A2000, a good glove won't let you drop that ball…..if the ball hits the web it should naturally just close around the ball without a thought, I don't care if your name is Fred Lewis……
(PS…..checked the pics, looks like a A2000 to me…..)



SMACK OF THE STICK :
ROMO
The good news is he is getting outs again, the bad news is that wasn't good enough today….as Romo gave up a groundball leadoff single in the 9th and then on a hard bunt back to the pitcher went to first when he very likely gets the out at second…..Romo comes up with the ball with Francouer just slightly 1/2 way to 2nd and Uribe already standing on the bag……at that point you have to play that 1 run game and take a chance……

AFFELDT
Well, he looked better today than previous days where he was struggling to find the strike zone…..but that Curveball looked pretty flat to me, and Murphy was able to serve it up to Right for the game winner……watch Affeldt carefully as without his lefthanded arm carving up the opposition the Giants postseason chances are in trouble….Wilson is looking solid, Romo looks to have righted the ship, now we need our 3rd gun out of the pen back in form……the Giants were playing their best ball when all three of these guys were lights out…….the offense sucks and that’s not going to change…..but if we can get Affeldt back in form, we have a shot…..and its really not a lack of stuff, just being able to get the ball over the plate….. since the scoreless streak Affeldt has 4 innings, 3 hits and 6 walks……not exactly being tattooed by the opposition……

F SANCHEZ
Solid D, but 3 K's at the plate…..2x leading off the inning with an out, and then with a runner on 2nd and the game in the balance was wiffed after a battle at the plate….Hell, Matt Downs coulda done that, and not cost a "Top Prospect" (and I use that term liberally)

SHARE VIA FACEBOOK

SHARE VIA TWITTER

GB and JK ARCHIVES AT THE GIANTS BOARD BLOG

(The fine print: There will be cussing and bad taste. This is written with the heat of the moment feel you may have during the game, with rational though sprinkled in now and then. This is entertainment folks, sure there is a lot of truth and I am a genius, but this is all about having a laugh and enjoying the ride…….now lets go heckle Jeff Kent in when he gets inducted to Cooperstown..)

No comments:

 
Site Meter